Welcome to Oregon Public Universities Retirement Plans (OPURP)
On July 1, 2014, the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) and the Tax-Deferred Investment 403(b) Plan (TDI) were renamed. These plans, formerly known as the Oregon University System (OUS) plans, are now the Oregon Public Universities Retirement Plans (OPURP).
The name change is part of the state-wide reorganization of higher education that creates independent institutional boards of trustees for each university, and transfers the role of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education as the plans’ sponsor to the Board of Trustees of the University of Oregon, on behalf of the Eastern Oregon University, the Oregon Institute of Technology, Oregon State University, Portland State University, Southern Oregon University, and Western Oregon University.
This does not affect participants’ accounts, investment options, or providers (Fidelity, TIAA-CREF, VALIC). Participants’ handbooks, forms, and provider websites have been converted to the plans’ new name. In addition, the What’s New tab on this site shows ORP and TDI other mid-year updates for current and new participants.
UPCOMING PUBLIC MEETINGS
- April 12, 2016 - Administrative Committee Meeting, 1:00-5:00 pm
- Location: 677 E. 12th Ave., Suite 400, Eugene, Oregon
- New IRS allocation rule for plan distributions
Beginning January 1, 2015, when participants choose to direct their retirement plan distribution to go to multiple destinations, the amounts will be treated as a single distribution for allocating pre-tax and after-tax basis (Notice 2014-54 and REG-105739-11). This will allow 401(a) qualified, 403(b) and 457(b) governmental retirement plan participants to:
- roll over amounts to both a Roth IRA and a non-Roth IRA,
- allocate the pre-tax amount of the distribution to the non-Roth IRA and the after-tax amount to the Roth IRA, and
- avoid having to pay income tax on pre-tax amounts rolled over to the non-Roth IRA.